6 April, 2023 – WPO (World Packaging Organisation – www.worldpackaging.org) has just announced the finalists of the Special Categories of WorldStar 2023 in ‘Marketing’, ‘Accessible Packaging’, ‘Sustainability’ and ‘Packaging that Saves Food’. These finalists are being judge in specific judging sessions, with the participation of members of the Working Groups, to select the 03 winners in each category.
The winners - Gold, Silver and Bronze - of each Special Category will be announced and awarded during WorldStar Gala Dinner together with the 228 winners of the WorldStar 2023. In a record edition, the Award registered 488 entries, from 41 countries. In the previous edition (2022) there were 440 competitors from 37 countries
According to Soha Atallah, WorldStar Coordinator and WPO Vice President of Events, “It is amazing to see the number of successful and great packaging participating in these different and special categories. It is being hard to the judges to decide, but WPO counts on the expertise of the professionals in each Working Group to select the best of the best.”
“The Special Categories reinforce the importance and power of the main trends in packaging. We highly recommend that companies apply for WorldStar. The process is simple and WPO member in each country can give all the instructions. It is important to remember that you can only apply if your packaging was awarded in a local competition recognized by WPO. Participating and winning WorldStar is a global recognition and puts your packaging in a different and prestigious level”, states WPO President, Pierre Pienaar.
Another Special Category that is announced only during the Award Ceremony is the ‘President´s Award’. In this case, from all the entries received, Pierre Pienaar chooses the one that represents the main innovation and differentiation in the packaging industry.
And the finalists of WorldStar 2023 Special Categories are:
- • ZRP Printing Group (China) - Flower tea gift box.
- • Deco Glas (Germany) - SE Mast-Jägermeister #savethenight edition thermochromic screen print on glass bottle.
- • Pyroll Packaging (Finland) - Every bird is special yogurt cups' paper-based lids designed by consumers/end-users.
- • Coca-Cola Tokyo Research & Development (Japan) - Coca-Cola label-free PET bottle.
- • BioPak (Australia & New Zealand) - Sugarcane pulp hot and cold cup lids.
- • Raja (Norway) - SeaStretch the first manual stretch wrap made of paper.
- • Caps & Closures (Australia & New Zealand) – EzyGrip.
- • The Salt Industry Center (Japan) - Shio Hitofuri one-shake (“hitofuri”) salt.
- • Toyo Seikan (Japan) - Finger-fitting tab for food can lid.
Packaging that Saves Food
- • Caps & Closures (Australia & New Zealand) - ThermoShield temperature monitoring system.
- • Masterpack Group (Netherlands ) - Modified atmosphere technology.
- • Amcor Copperprotek (Chile) - LifeSpan copper based film.
For general enquiries on WorldStar contact Soha Atallah by e-mail [email protected] or visit www.worldstar.org. Follow WorldStar Awards on LinkedIn @WorldStar Awards
World Packaging Organisation (WPO) is a non-profit, non-governmental, international federation of packaging institutes, associations, federations and other interested parties including corporations and trade associations. Its mission is “Better quality of life through better packaging for more people”. WPO joins 76 members from around the globe, which also includes Honorary Members (12), Affiliate Members (7) and a Regional Federation (1) as well.
WPO Press & Communication Officer