The judging Panel of WorldStar is composed of WPO Board members which consist of leading packaging professionals and Executive Directors of National and regional Packaging Institutes for more than 55 countries besides. (Click here
to see the list of WPO Board Members)
The judging panel usually meet in November of each year for the judging. The jury's decision is final. The jury has the right to exclude entries which do not meet the conditions of entry. The jury has the right to move a pack to a different category.
FOR WORLDSTAR MAIN CATEGORIES
The judges consider the following criteria:
Protection and preservation of contents
Sales Appeal: On-Pack Branding/ Marketability
Quality of Execution
Cost Reduction, economy of material, and cost saving
Ease of handling, filling, closing, opening and reclosing
Creativity and Innovation
FOR WORLDSTAR SPECIAL CATEGORIES
- The overall success of the packaging to represent the equity of the brand and relevance to the product
- The point of difference that gives it a marketing edge encouraging purchase
- The packaging that best creates value to the consumer based on interaction, emotional connection or usability
Packaging that Save the Food
- SOCIAL: Benefit to Society
- MATERIAL: Responsible raw materials sourcing, including materials from renewable resources
- SOURCE REDUCTION: weight reduction when compared to the previous package or to general packs in its class
- ENERGY: Optimization during transportation, storage and use
- RECOVERY: Re-usability, recyclability, recoverability, post-consumer material recycling, ease of disposal
- The packaging solution has shown to reduce food losses or food waste in a relevant amount.
- Appropriateness, adequacy, convenience
- Innovative but feasible
- Communicates to consumers that the package is saving food or reducing food losses/food waste
- Benefit to Society/Community
Due to the spread of Covid-19 pandemic, it was not possible for WPO Board Members to meet physically during the regular WPO Board meetings that take place usually in one of the WPO member countries on yearly basis to judge WordStar entries. Unfortunately, the meeting that was supposed to take place in November 2020 in South Africa was cancelled.
Therefore the judging process for WorldStar 2020 was conducted over 2 phases in November 2020:
- The first phase was done online where each judge assessed each WorldStar entry remotely and individually based on the above judging criteria
- The second phase was a live deliberation session via zoom meeting to assess the shortlisted entries and to select the special award categories.
Due to the success of this virtual approach, WPO Executive team will discuss with the board the possibility to adopt this virtual judging for the future WorldStar Editions